SustainFloyd Foundation Farmers Market Manager
Job Description, September 2023
SustainFloyd Foundation, an environmental non-profit located in Floyd Virginia, is seeking to hire a manager for the Floyd Farmers Market. The activities include managing all aspects of the Farmers Market enterprise; being an advocate for market vendors, customers, sponsors and for the SustainFloyd Foundation. The manager will be given direction and support by the Floyd Farmers market committee.
The FFM is a seasonal project with the most demanding efforts required from April through November. However, there will be activities year-round and the job could average 15-20 hours a week depending on the scope of work undertaken, (see below). The work can be accomplished by about ½ on-site and about ½ from a home computer. This position pays an hourly wage of $18-20/hr. depending on experience.
- Help recruit and jury vendors for the Saturday Market.
- Hold vendor meetings when necessary.
- Monitor compliance with relevant regulations and codes and permits.
- Make stall assignments, coordinate vendor activities, enforce market rules, be an advocate and problem solver.
- Submit weekly financial forms, make deposits and follow the SFF accounting system currently in place. Work closely with the SFF bookkeeper.
- Manage the SNAP/EBT program at the market.
- Create and Manage special events, workshops and entertainment related to the Market.
- Fundraising: Work with the SFF FM Committee to maintain existing sponsors and develop new ones.
- Direct activities on Saturday Market-day. Be the first person to arrive and the last to leave.
- Handle emergencies and complaints.
- Serve as the quality control person for products, as well as for the market’s general appearance and cleanliness.
- Coordinate SNAP/EBT program with customers, vendors and volunteers.
- Keep a presence at the information table for Q & A.
- Coordinate work with volunteers.
Communication, Promotion and Networking Tasks:
- Write content and send / post weekly market updates via Farmers market email newsletter, Farmers market Facebook page, Instagram, Farmers market website.
- Write press releases when necessary and represent the market in the Floyd community and to the media.
- Build positive relations with customers and partners.
- Maintain communications with local government officials, health inspectors and others, occasionally when needed.
- Keep social media platforms current.
- Create an annual calendar of events.
- Occasional updates for the SF board of directors.
- Help SF develop an on-line Farmers Market.
- Develop new promotional ideas.
- The Farmers Market Manager could also assist SustainFloyd with other special projects if it’s a good fit. For example; assist volunteers answer mail, doing fundraising, helping create newsletters and social media posts, and helping organize and assisting with special projects.